201 Fun, Captivating, (and totally random) Road Trip Questions + Car Conversation Starters
It’s road trip season! There’s not much else that compares to this form of travel, filled with freedom, possibility, and the wide open road. In addition to the opportunity for self-reflection and finding inspiration, the conversations that happen are one of the best part of any road trip. To help you with that, I have compiled a comprehensive list of road trip questions and trivia for car rides, guaranteed to be enlightening, entertaining, and sure-fire conversation starters.
Whether driving cross-country or just a quick car ride, it’s the people you go with that make the journey as (some may say, even more so) enjoyable and memorable as the changing scenery and the expectation of an adventure.
Some of our best conversations happen naturally in the car, away from distraction and intrusion. Keep reading to find a good mix of thought-provoking and funny questions for car rides to simple and deep thinking queries. You will also find car question games for children, road trip trivia for family, and road questions for couples.
These fun questions for road trips are meant to engage, amuse, delight, and get to know someone a whole lot better. Answer these questions honestly to even get to know yourself better. I’ve also included some of my favourite questions for a car ride to ask when on a journey as well as a bunch of travel trivia for road trips.
The time on the road is not always filled with excitement and anticipation, particularly after hours of driving.
However, keep reading and there’s no getting bored on your upcoming long drive with these fun questions to ask on a road trip.
Be sure to save this post or bookmark it to easily find it during your next journey on the road.
Let’s get into it ⬇
>> Read next:
The most engaging + fun travel questions to ask
The 50 best Travel Songs to add to your road trip playlist
Test your knowledge of the world with these geography questions
100 of the BEST Road Trip Quotes to reminisce and inspire YOU
MY TOP QUESTIONS FOR A ROAD TRIP
This list of car ride trivia and the best questions for road trips should keep the conversation flowing from beginning to end!
- At this very moment: what will it take to make you 100% happy?
- What do you think is more mind-blowing: the idea that we are alone in the universe or the idea that we are not?
- You discover that your phone has connection to the internet from 5 years in the future. What do you search for first?
- What is one piece of advice you would give to your younger self if you could go back in time?
- What is a small act of kindness you were once shown, that you will never forget?
- Can money buy happiness?
- What is an adult problem you were really not prepared for?
- The world would be a better place with more of what?
- What has simultaneously gotten worse and more expensive over the years?
- Growing up, what is the very first thing you ever wanted to be?
- There is a restaurant called Karma. It doesn’t have a menu. You just get what you deserve. What are you getting?
- Is home a place of a feeling… What does home mean to you?
- You only have time to grab 3 things from home during an approaching catastrophic event. What do you take?
- If you had $100,000 to help people with, what would you do?
- When was the last time you felt complete and total bliss?
- You come across a time machine. What time period do you travel back to and observe in person?
>> I would choose the period of the dinosaurs or ancient Egypt.
Check out this post on everything you need to know before visiting Egypt.
- If you could only do one thing for the rest of your life and it would bring you money – what would it be?
- What does your perfect day look like from start to finish?
- What would you do if fear was not a factor and you could not fail?
- What are you most grateful for?
- How would you like to be remembered?
- You have died and that instead of going to heaven, you’ve only levelled up to Earth 2.0. What are some things that make Earth 2.0 better than Earth, but not quite heaven?
- If money weren’t an issue, what is the one thing you would love to do?
- Is there any job that you would never do, even for a huge sum of money?
- Would you take a 50/50 chance at $5,000,000 or death?
- When have you felt the most gratitude in your life?
- What do you think has been one of the most impactful inventions?
- When do you feel truly/most alive?
- What piece of art has profoundly impacted or moved you?
CAR CONVERSATION STARTERS
What to talk about on long drives?
Find a list of fun road trip questions for car rides that are bound to get the conversation flowing.
- If you didn’t have to sleep, what would you do with the extra time?
- How do you feel about a 4 day work week?
- Is there anything in your life that would be classed as a luxury, but you cannot imagine living without?
- Would you ever consider donating your organs?
- What is one thing you know to be true?
- What would you do if you could spend one day as the opposite gender?
- What is one memory that you hope you never, ever forget?
- If you could live anywhere in the world, where would it be?
- What is your goal for the next year? What are your life goals?
- What is your real-life superpower?
- What motivates you to work hard?
- Which book has had the biggest impact on your life?
- What are your thoughts on religion?
- What’s your favorite conspiracy theory?
- You meet your 16 year old self, but you can only tell them 3 words. What do you say?
- What is the biggest risk you’ve taken?
- Which element (earth, water, wind, or fire) do you most associate yourself with?
- Do you have any phobias?
- What is something that you once saw someone do that has changed the way you think about a certain subject?
- Who has had the biggest influence on your life?
- What life quotes or sayings do you live by?
- What do you think qualifies as art?
- If you had one day to spend 10 million dollars what would you buy?
- What are some small things that make your day better?
- What is something that is generally popular, but you really don’t like?
- What’s the most trouble you’ve ever been in?
- Are you a person that wants to own their own business or do you prefer working for somebody else?
- What would be your dream job?
- What is just ridiculously overpriced in life?
- How different was your life one year ago?
FUN QUESTIONS FOR A CAR RIDE
I am a huge fan not just of deep-thinking questions, but also fun questions for road trips that are bound to make the drive a joy. Almost guaranteed to make everyone laugh, these fun car trivia questions for the road are often come accompanied with some weird responses and playful debates.
- What do you think is the most googled question?
- What is something you will never do again?
- Which emoji do you use the most?
- What would you buy first if you won the lottery?
- Who would be your five guests at your ultimate dinner party?
- What are you really good at, but kind of embarrassed that you are good at it?
- If you could switch places for a week with anyone in the world, who would you switch with?
- Who is your favorite influencer that you follow on social media and why?
>> Find me (and say hello) on Instagram:
- Where’s the strangest place you’ve spent the night?
- What was your very first pet?
- What is your absolute favourite movie(s)?
- If you could have a conversation with one non-living person, who would you talk to?
- What’s the single biggest and most expensive purchase you’ve ever made?
- What is a fun fact that you’re obsessed with?
- What kind of art do you most enjoy?
- Have you ever been skinny dipping?
- What is the best Wi-Fi name you’ve seen?
- How long do you think you would last (+ where would you go) during the zombie apocalypse?
- What songs would be on your best road trip playlist?
>> Check out this list of the:
Top vacation songs to add to your playlist
- Who is your celebrity crush?
- What song could you listen to over and over and not get tired of?
- What is your favorite TV series?
- What was the first CD you’ve ever owned?
- Who are your top three favorite singers/bands/musicians of all time?
- What physical features and personality traits do you find most attractive in someone?
- What is your most irrational fear?
- You can receive $1 billion, however you can never get drunk or high again. Do you take the deal?
- What is your best pick-up line?
- What is the most embarrassing thing that happened to you?
- What are some simple pleasures that bring you maximum joy?
Keep reading for more ideas + fun questions to ask on a road trip…
CAR RIDE QUESTIONS TO GET TO KNOW SOMEONE BETTER
In developing a relationship, romantic or otherwise, there are a few things that compare to getting into the head of the other person. Here are a number of thought-provoking road trip questions for a car ride to get to know someone (much) better.
- What are you best known for?
- What items are at the top of your bucket list?
>> Find my epic quest bucket list here
- Your teacher(s) described you as
- What has been your greatest accomplishment so far?
- Where did you grow up?
- What were you like as a child?
- What is your favorite thing about yourself?
- What is something you are certain you’ll never experience in life?
- What impression do you think you give when you first meet someone?
- What is your greatest strength? What are your best and worst qualities/traits?
- Who is the most famous person you’ve met?
- How many bones have you broken?
- Do you have any scars? If so, what’s the story behind it
- If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would it be?
- What type of music makes you happy?
- When no one is watching you do what?
- What is the quickest way to your heart?
- As a child, you were really into…?
- What are you a real nerd about?
- If you could be fluent in another language, which one would you choose? I’d choose Hawaiian.
- What is your most useless skill?
- What accomplishment are you most proud of?
- What is one skill or talent you really wish you had?
- What was the best book or series that you’ve read?
- Who is the most important person in your life and why?
- What would your dream home look like and where would it be?
- What is more important to you, spontaneity or meticulous planning? What is the most spontaneous thing you’ve done?
- What is the first thing you do when you get out of bed?
- Would you describe yourself as an early bird or a night owl?
- What is one thing that people describe you as that you disagree with?
- Are you more impulsive or cautious?
- What is your favorite color?
- What words best describe you?
- What is the most courageous/the scariest thing you’ve done?
- Are you the kind of person who gets everything done right away or keep putting things away until the deadline?
- You quote too much from?
- What do you get way too excited about?
- What’s missing from your life?
- What is something that your family will never understand about you?
- What is the soundtrack of your life?
- If you could be the leading expert in something, what would it be?
DEEP THINKING QUESTIONS FOR LONG DRIVES
It’s bound to be an interesting and enlightening drive with these deep thinking questions for a roadtrip.
- What is your definition of a soul?
- If you had the power to correct one problem in the world, what would you fix?
- What do you think happens after we die?
- If you could go back in time to change one thing, what would it be?
- If you could know one thing about your future, what would it be?
- Would you live forever if you could?
- How would you spend the last 24 hours of your life?
- Do you think people have the ability to change or are we fundamentally the same all our life?
- What do you regret not doing when you were younger?
- What is something that you learnt way later than you should have?
- What do you fear about getting older?
- Do you wonder if we travel to another dimension when we’re dreaming?
- You are magically granted three wishes, what are they?
- What makes you happiest, and why?
- Where do you see yourself in 5/10 years’ time?
- If you could change one thing about your life what would it be?
- When did you grow up?
- How would you define beauty?
- What one characteristic about yourself would you change, given the chance?
- If you could be more disciplined and wake up early, what would you add to you morning routine?
- What’s the worst thing you’ve ever done in life?
- If you could write a book about your life, what would the theme of your book be?
- Do you believe in the concept of destiny or are we fully in control of our own lives?
- What do you wish you could tell the younger version of yourself
- What do you think is the meaning of life?
- You have the attention of the world for 20 seconds. What do you say?
TRAVEL TRIVIA FOR A ROAD TRIP
Travel and exploring the world is my favorite past-time. But you already knew that, right? Here are fun car ride questions to ask on a road trip to get you talking about faraway places, future travel plans, bucket list destinations, or vacations gone by.
♦ What is the biggest adventure you’ve been on?
♦ If you could teleport anywhere in the world where would you go? I’d choose Bora Bora
♦ So far, what has been your most memorable travel experience EVER?
♦ Window or aisle seat?
♦ How many countries have you been to?
♦ Would you rather go on holiday to a tropical island or on a safari?
♦ Do you prefer to return to somewhere you like or rather visit a new place you’ve never been to before?
♦ Choose one famous person or celebrity to go on vacation with?
♦ What is your favorite part of travel?
♦ What do you like the least about travel?
♦ What is the one item you cannot travel without?
♦ What’s the most beautiful place you’ve ever been to?
♦ What is the longest you’ve been away from home for?
♦ What is the best (and worst) travel advice you’ve ever received?
♦ Where is the very first place you’ve travelled to on your own?
♦ If you could take a road trip anywhere, where would you go?
♦ What’s the first thing you do when you get home from a trip?
♦ If you went on a round-the-world trip, what would be the first country you’d visit on each continent?
♦ What is your favorite city for a weekend break?
♦ What do you miss most about home when you go away on a long trip?
♦ Summer beach vacation or a winter mountain trip?
♦ Are you more of a budget backpacker or luxury traveller at heart?
♦ What is the strangest thing you have done whilst traveling?
♦ Where is the best place you have been camping?
♦ What is the scariest thing that has happened to you whilst traveling?
♦ What is the best beach you have ever seen?
♦ Where was the most beautiful sunrise or sunset you’ve witnessed?
♦ What was your worst ever holiday and why?
♦ If you could live anywhere in the world where would it be? Costa Rica, maybe?
♦ Have you ever been on a cruise?
♦ Do you book your own travels or prefer to go through a travel agent?
♦ What was the first national park you’ve visited?
♦ Is it the journey or the destination that’s more important to you?
♦ Which has been the best museum you’ve visited?
♦ What is something you do in a hotel room that you would never do at home?
♦ Which country in the world do you love most, and why?
♦ What travel word (besides wanderlust) resonates with you the most?
♦ What is your favorite travel quote?
♦ One long holiday per year or lots of short trips?
♦ Where is the creepiest place you have been to?
♦ What is your favourite place in the entire world?
♦ Do you prefer to see a lot of countries for a little bit or get to know one in-depth?
♦ Where would you love to go to next?
♦ What does being a responsible traveler mean to you?
♦ What is your best travel story?
>> Check out the complete list:
100+ Questions on Travel to ask
ROAD TRIP QUESTIONS FOR COUPLES
Couples: this set of provocative and stimulating questions for road trips are for you. Prepare to get to know your partner on a whole other level.
What do you talk about on a road trip date?
— What did you think when you first met me?
— If you had one word to describe our relationship what would it be?
— Describe the perfect first date
— What do you think are the most important elements of a successful relationship?
— What’s the best date you’ve ever been on?
— What’s the worst date you’ve ever been on?
— What about our relationship makes you really happy?
— What’s one difference between us that you absolutely love?
— Would you compromise your happiness for the success of the relationship?
— Have you ever suffered a broken heart and, if so, what happened?
— What are your thoughts on marriage?
— Where would you most like to go on your honeymoon?
— What is your favorite memory of our time together?
— Where on your body do you most enjoy being kissed?
— What’s your primary love language? (giving, physical touch, quality time, acts of service, words of affirmation)
— Do you want kids some day?
— Would you rather have a son or a daughter?
— Would you consider being a stay at home parent?
— What’s your biggest fear for this relationship?
— What makes a relationship great?
— What’s your favorite thing about me?
— Describe a perfect, romantic day?
— What is the one thing that would be a relationship breaker for you?
— Do you think it’s possible to have platonic relationships between men and women?
— Are you still in contact with any of your ex-partners?
— What would you say is cheating in a relationship?
— Successful career or happy family life?
— What red flag characteristics would make you want to have nothing to do with someone?
— What are the most important features you look for in a partner?
— If there was a film made about our relationship who would play each of us?
— What is an instant turn off?
— What are some green flags you look for in a potential relationship/partner?
CAR QUESTION GAMES FOR KIDS
Kids really do say the darnest things. More so when asked a captivating and interesting question during a car trip. Here is a list of fun road trip questions to ask children in the car.
- Would you rather get stuck in a toy shop or a candy store?
- What superhero name would you pick for yourself?
- If you could ask your pet 3 questions, what would they be?
- What do you want to be when you grow up?
- Have you ever cheated on a test?
- What school project were you most proud of?
- If you could make the clouds rain down anything, what would they rain down?
- What is your most prized possession?
- What’s the best gift you’ve ever received?
- What’s the funniest face you can pull?
- What is your favourite sport?
- Who is your favourite teacher at school, and why?
- If you could have a superpower, what would it be?
- What animal would you like to transform into for a day?
- What is something that you think is okay to do occasionally but definitely not okay to do every day?
- If you could be invisible for one day, what would you do?
- What is a hero and who is a hero to you?
- List three words that best describe you?
- What is your favorite dinosaur?
- If you could travel to anytime in the past, where would you go?
- What thing would you do if you could get away with it?
- What is the one thing you cannot live without?
- Who is your funniest friend?
- What is something new that you learnt this week?
- If you could set one rule that this family must follow, what would that be?
- If you could have any animal as a pet, what would you choose?
- What is the bravest thing you’ve ever done or seen someone do?
- What is the strangest sound you can make?
- Would you rather have a kitten or a puppy?
- If you had a $1000, would would you do or buy?
- Can you tell a joke right now?
ROAD TRIP TRIVIA FOR FAMILY
Don’t miss out on the chance of getting to know every member of the family a little better. These family road trip questions for car rides are guaranteed to do just that while also keeping everyone thoroughly entertained.
♦ What does family mean to you?
♦ Using one word, how would you describe your family?
♦ What’s your favourite childhood memory?
♦ Which family member are you the closest to?
♦ How strict were your parents when you were growing up? Rate from 1 – 10.
♦ What do you like most about your family?
♦ What do you like least about your family?
♦ What instantly reminds you of being a kid?
♦ Where was your first vacation with your family?
♦ What is your favorite family tradition?
♦ Did you go camping in your childhood? Where?
♦ Do you like spending a lot of time with your family?
♦ What is something you wish more people knew?
♦ How often do you visit your family?
♦ Which island would you love to go for a tropical family vacation
WOULD-YOU-RATHER ROAD TRIP QUESTIONS
This simple format of intriguing and fun car ride questions are perfect for the road. Present these to your fellow road trip buddies with these odd, funny, and interesting scenarios to get into some great conversations.
- Would you rather have one million dollars now, or a guaranteed $10,000 every month for the next ten years
- Would you rather be able to tell your past self one thing or be able to ask your future self one question?
- Would you rather happy moments become happier or sad moments become less sad?
- Would you rather explore outer space or the deepest part of the ocean?
- Would you rather have a rewind button or a pause button on your life?
- Would you rather be happy and content but not achieve much or never be satisfied but achieve a lot?
- Would you rather be good looking and dumb or ugly and extremely intelligent?
- Would you rather not shower for a month or not use the internet for a month?
- Would you rather be the first person to visit another planet or invent a cure that saves a million lives?
- Would you rather live to 150 but have a boring life or live to 50 but have a really exciting life?
- Would you rather go into the past and meet your ancestors or go into the future and meet your great-great grandchildren?
- Would you rather never be able to walk again or never be able to hear again?
- Would you rather never speak again or never have sex again?
- Would you rather have the ability to read someone’s mind or teleport anywhere at will?
- Would you rather live in a lovely suburban neighbourhood or in the countryside?
- Would you rather meet the love of your life or a treasure chest with a million dollars in it?
- Would you rather be executed or spend spend life in prison?
- Would you rather spend the day hiking in the mountains, at a theme park, or at the beach?
- Would you rather have the superpower to fly or become invisible?
- Would you rather have more time or more money?
- Would you rather be a genius that people don’t trust or an idiot that everyone listens to?
- Would you rather know how you will die or when you will die?
- Would you rather be able to talk with animals or speak all languages?
- Would you rather always speak your mind or never speak again?
- Would you rather live the life of a king with no family or friends or live like a nomad with your friends or family?
- Would you rather go bungee jumping or skydiving?
- Would you rather watch a horror movie or a romantic film?
- Would you rather read a book or watch a movie?
- Would you rather live without music or without television?
- Would you rather have a conversation with Jesus or Buddha?
- Would you rather climb Mount Everest or swim the Great Barrier Reef?
- Would you rather have perfect health until you die or always have enough money in the bank till you die?
- Would you rather have you dream job or find your true love?
- Would you rather be reborn into the past or into the future?
- Would you rather be sticky for the rest of your life or be itchy for the rest of your life?
- Would you rather never be able to laugh again or never be able to smile again?
- Would you rather live forever or wake up every day with a new superpower?
- Would you rather fight a cat-sized lion or lion-sized cat?
- Would you rather only speak English or speak every language in the world except for English?
- Would you rather be rich but stupid or poor but a genius?
- Would you rather never be able to speak again or have to say everything that’s on your mind out loud?
- Would you rather never be able to use the phone again or never be able to use a computer again?
- Would you rather be the last person left on planet Earth or be one of the first people on Mars, but you’ll never be able to return home?
FOOD QUESTIONS FOR ROAD TRIPS
Everyone loves food and eating. The next best thing? Talking about food. This set of funny road trip questions for a car ride is all about that. Just be sure to stock up on snacks before attempting to do so.
- If you could only eat one food/meal for the rest of your life, what would it be?
- What is the weirdest food you have ever tried?
- What is your ultimate favourite dessert?
- What was the first thing you learned how to cook?
- Given a choice, what would be your final meal?
- What snack(s) are a must when on a road trip?
- What is your favorite foreign cuisine?
- What is your favourite drink?
- What is the best and worst thing you’ve ever cooked?
- What is the most overrated food?
- Do you have any food allergies?
- Would you rather only ever be able to use a fork again or only ever be able to use a spoon?
- Would you rather eat great food or drink great wine?
- What is your biggest kitchen fail?
- What is your favorite fruit?
- Dessert before dinner. Yay or nay?
- What is your least favorite food?
- Would you consider yourself a good cook?
- Do you care about eating healthy?
- What is the most expensive food you’ve eaten?
- What is your favorite pizza topping?
- Have you ever tried or at least considered growing your own food?
- Do you have a preference for coffee or tea?
- What is your go to under 10 minute meal for when you’re in a hurry?
>> Read next: 35 of the…
strangest foods eaten around the world
RANDOM ROAD TRIP TRIVIA QUESTIONS
Enjoy this final list of weird, wonderful, and fun questions for road trips to keep the good times and conversation flowing.
- What does the last text message on your phone say?
- If you had to choose between having no soap or no toilet paper for the rest of your life, which one would it be?
- How long can you go without sleep?
- What is your favourite (and least favourite) word?
- What was the model/make of your first phone?
- If you could stay at a certain age forever, what age would it be?
- What’s the worst injury you’ve sustained? How did you get it?
- If you had to spend a week with no internet connection, what would you do?
- What is the scariest movie you’ve ever seen?
- What is one thing you would love to take out of your daily routine?
- What household chore have you never done?
- If you woke up to find 99.99% of the population disappeared overnight, what would you do?
- Are you usually early or late?
- What is the weirdest gift you’ve received?
- What’s the funniest thing you’ve ever witnessed?
- What do you think is kept in Area 51?
- What goes in first — cereal or milk?
- What is the longest you’ve ever gone without showering or bathing?
- Have you ever cried during a movie?
- If you had to give up every social media platform but one, which one would you keep?
- Are you more of a dog or a cat person?
- What deceased musician or singer would you love to see in concert?
- If you could reconnect to one friend that you’ve lost touch with, who would it be?
- What are your pet peeves?
- Who would you love to punch in the face?
- What’s your favourite instrument?
- Have you ever broken the law?
- What is your spirit animal?
- What do you go crazy for?
- What is your favorite line from a movie?
- Have you had anything supernatural happen or witness any ghostly encounters?
- What sound do you love?
- What is the dorkiest thing about you? What are you weirdly attracted to?
- What is a guilty pleasure of yours?
- What is the craziest fact you know or a random fact that you love?
- Which movie or TV character do you most relate to?
- If time and money were not an issue, what hobby would you get into?
- If you were going to lose all your senses, what order would you rather to lose them in?
I hope you’ve enjoyed this complete set of car ride questions. As you have just seen, I’ve included more than enough questions to fuel those conversations during a road trip.
What are some of your favorite questions to ask on a road trip?
And did any of these road trip trivia questions uncover a couple revelations or laughs?
>> Read next:
- 100+ epic quotes for road trips
- The ultimate list of travel quotes to keep the positive vibes flowin’
- The top 10 benefits of travelling
- The best travel songs to include on your road trip playlist
Happy road trippin’!